05 February, 2009

Music and Fried Chicken are my Boyfriends

Tuesday night found me having dinner at Kentucky Fried Chicken with Kerala’s most eligible bachelor, a Doctor to boot, he of course is smitten with me, as they all are, that is all Indians, not just Kerelan doctors….but I digress…so this Doctor tells me he likes ‘grunge’ music… notice I said “likes” and not “liked”…personally I didn’t think grunge existed anymore…I told I used like grunge in the 90’s but now I wasn’t so sure…he asked what happen…I said I moved on…it got me to thinking…about musical progression, my musical progression. I have always wanted to be in a musical…so here it is my musical…”the progression”.

I was round 6 years old in 1976, I don’t remember having a musical past before that, really just whatever was on the radio…although I do remember a 45 record I had about Hiawatha and Running Bear that I wore out as a child…and my Mom loves to tell a story of how I wanted some neighborhood kid to hear one of my records so I put it on the turntable and locked him in my room…I wish I knew which song I thought was important enough to cause me to commit kidnapping…my mom is/was/always will be a Kris Kristofferson fan so I heard him in the house a lot…no, I mean A LOT!!!…
Popular in America around this time was Barry Manilow, John Denver, my dog Pasta’s favorite band The Carpenters, The Captain and Tennille.

1976-1982 – even as an eight year the disco beat had me…red flag?...big for me was the Grease soundtrack, The Bee Gee’s, Donna Summer, Oliva Newton John…her album ‘Totally Hot’ from 1978 was just that…Totally Hot!!! 1979 for me was all about ‘Le Freak’, ‘YMCA’, and ‘I will Survive’.

1981-1987 – from Disco I transitioned into New Wave. I lived on a farm and didn’t get the latest music when the city folk did, so I was a few years behind… I was 13 (1982) and this was my self identifying music. It didn’t belong to my mom…my brother liked Heavy Metal and Rush (which I had to hate cause he liked it). This was mine, topping the list were The Thompson twins (my first favorite band, have you seen my Thompson twin tattoo?), Culture Club, Dépêche Mode, and Pet Shop Boys (1986). Erasure hit in 1985 and became my new favorite replacing the now fading Twins (tear). I was also listening to harder punk bands like Dead Kennedys and Crass as well but New Wave was where my heart was.

In 1987 I left high school and the farm, my family shifted to South Carolina. There wasn’t much of a scene there and this was pre-internet so my taste became a bit more radio friendly and ‘clubby’. Around this time I started working in Record stores and my exposure to different kinds of music really opened up. During this time I was listening to REM, I warmed up to Madonna (when she first came out I was still ‘punk’ and liking her was not cool), I was totally into Erasure by then, I discovered the musical ‘Into the Woods’, Morrissey was solo now and I loved him, The Communards was my first CD, The sugarcubes entered the world and brought us Bjork. The times and I were a changin’…

1991 1994-I began living in Atlanta, which was all about and Hip Hop/Rap music, also Tori Amos’ first record came out I became a HUGE fan. I was, for the first time, going to discotheques so I heard and loved a lot of really cheesy gay dance crap which I now regret…did I really like CeCe Peniston’s ‘Finally’... During this time was when grunge was around, Nirvana hit in 1991 with ‘…Teen Spirit’ and I was not immune to their charms…although Pearl Jam was my grunge band…’Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town’ has had an impact on me and my ‘being’ that has been immeasurable…and one I am not fully comfortable with talking about here…

1994-1995 I went traveling round the world…so I missed out on a bit but during that time. While in Egypt I found in my hotel room a discarded copy of a British magazine ‘the face’ and read about Brit pop! I loved it without hearing it, I liked the way it looked, I liked what the best said/stood for. All the brits I met during this time were ‘mad’ about brit-pop and a band I would later love called Blur.
1995 I got a job at Hard Rock Café and my taste leaned a bit harder as rock music was being hammer into my head everyday at work, at the same time I was diving in to Britpop with gusto.

1997 I moved to Philadelphia, by this time my musical tastes were all over the place and I was at a point in my life, I was 27(?) where I listened to what I wanted to, not cause it was cool or popular, but because I liked it…as long as it was alive and fun and interesting!!

That theme…interesting, fun, alive is still where I am today…currently I can love the new Beyonce, TV on the Radio, Antony and the Johnson, Bjork, Santo Gold, Britney Spears and Bollywood all at the same time and feel by each….I am happy with in my musical world…I love the rush I get from getting the latest CD from some band I love…simply, in 2009, I can say I love music…Music is my Boyfriend!


Side note---The next night I went back to the same KFC restaurant with some co-workers and the guy at the counter said “you here again, where is your partner?” and it made me think…you know how on LOST Hurley has some sort of ‘magic ability’...like he sees ‘things’…well Hurley used to work at this fast food chicken restaurant Mr. Clucks… what if this guy is the Indian Hurley, what if he can/is seeing something…what if this Kerelan doctor SHOLUD be my partner…and then I came to my senses…and realized that I should get out more…end scene!

And now for those who don’t know and for my mom…here’s some vintage Kris!!



Peace out and Rock on!!

2 comments:

Kris Bass said...

Oh how wonderful! I really haven't seen enough of Lost, heard enough of Kris and had enough of the stuff at KFC - but looks like you were enamored by that erudite one from down south!

Wonder, if he really is the one...

:P

Kris

Another Kiran In NYC said...

Hullo,

Linked over to your blog from Kris's blog. Read yours from end to end this morning.

Ofcourse I must add that reading about your fun adventures was expecially interesting to me. It gave me a peek into how my American born husband must have experienced India when he travelled, lived and worked on academic projects there, as a college student so many years ago. I always wondered what he saw, how food tasted to him, how the air smelled to him... all that stuff.

He loved it, he hated it, it made him elated, but at the end of it all, it made him very emotionally tired. I wonder if that is normal for a lot of people.

I will definately come back often your blog and keep up with your adventures.