13 February, 2008

V-day

So here it is the eve of yet another Valentines Day to be spent alone...the difference this year is that I AM in love...with me!!! This year I feel better about myself, who I am, and the things that I am capable of more than I have in a longa time. Yeah me!! So while alone, I WILL be with the one I love.

But the V I am most excited about this Valentines is the Visa that I will pick up tomorrow letting me return home....home to Mumbai. In just over four months it HAS become home to me... I look forward to getting back, back to life. However, I don't look forward to the intensive job search that I have realized I have to do when I get there. Despite what most Indians think, just cause I am an American that doesn’t make me Donald Trump. But job worries are next week...

I made a Nepali friend. He sells Pashmina sweaters and I visit his shop daily. We drink tea and talk about our countries. He is hilarious and hates everybody. Last night we went to dinner, when we were parting he said "be careful of the glue sniffers". I laughed, not really understanding...his English is kinda bad. No sooner had I walked twenty feet away a gang of about 15 little kids (6-13 years old) came from nowhere and everywhere asking, nay, demanding money...each one more strung out than the next and each one dirtier than the next. Most, fortunately, were too busy holding plastic bags to their little faces (sniffing glue) to be bothered with money. Just as I was about to get scared, sweater guy came and chased them away...he said "don't worry, they won't kill you". Thanks?
Nepal is currently in political strife. The Maoist are trying to take over the government and you can feel the tension on the street. there are daily marches/rallies through town; it always feels like the city is step from civil war. It is sort of scary but exciting. The elections on April 10th will change this country forever. Time magazine has a cover story on the situation that sort of makes you feel for the Maoist. My sweater friend tells a different story. They come to his parents house and demand food and money threaten to bomb the house them if they don't provide.

So hopefully next time I blog it will be from Mumbai. The journey home proves to be blog worthy as the route seems a bit longer home as if it could get longer…

Peace out and congratulations to winehouse

2 comments:

Wil said...

Ech. I never feel for "Maoists"...filthy commies. :-p Although the Monarchy wasn't much better to those poor people. Don't they realize how passé communism is? Oh and fuck Valentine's Day...it's a stupid holiday anyway. I'm glad you have found some peace and love for yourself. :) Remember, I love you too! Have a safe trip back to Mumbai!

Gary said...

awww, craig. i'm really proud of you and what you're doing out there. you're my hero.